The Cape Town Software Process Improvement Network gathers monthly to share their experiences in initiating and sustaining software process improvement programs. The SPIN concept was initiated by the Carnegie Mellon University Software Engineering Institute (SEI).
The Software Process Improvement Network is comprised of individuals who want to improve software engineering practice. The individuals are organized into regional groups called “SPINs” that meet and share their experiences initiating and sustaining software process improvement programs.
The CT-SPIN has no formal membership requirements other than subscription to the announcement mailing list. Our meetings are free and open to the general public.
Schedule of Events
Cape Town SPIN meetings are held at the Bandwidth Barn in Cape Town from 6:15 p.m. to 8:15 p.m. on the third Wednesday of every month (except on or adjacent to public holidays).
If you are interested in being notified of SPIN events and activities, please join the SPIN announce mailing list. The mailing list is very low traffic – only the monthly announcements and rare administrative notices are sent to it. Refer to the home page for more information about upcoming events.
CT-SPIN’s objective is to promote transformation via process improvement and by enhancing its member’s skills. This is done through an active program of networking, presentations, publications, discussion groups, recognition of excellence and mutual support.
The primary goal is to create a network of peers who exchange views on the state of the South African IT and software industry for the international market. This will help to cross-fertilise ideas and create synergies for the development of co-ordinated ICT-enabled growth strategies.
- Raise the level of awareness of the importance of software process.
- Present different techniques of implementing quality software.
- Provide a forum for discussing software quality concepts.
- Provide a forum for best practice exchange.
- Have local members speak of success stories that have lead to productivity and quality improvements.
- Be a resource to software professionals.
- Create a networking opportunity with other software professionals.
- Assist in the creation of new SPINs.
The South African SPIN provides the following benefits to members:
- Brings together four groups of people for mutual benefit: organizations improving their processes, consultants and organizations that provide process-related services and products, academic researchers, and relevant government agencies.
- Organizes events on topics of mutual interest, including seminars on new tools or techniques.
- Gain access to and create awareness of skills to a group of professionals.
- Respect of professional confidentiality and professional integrity
- Sharing and dissemination of information
- Openness and honesty